The Lost Art of Trogging?

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

The Lost Art of Trogging?

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Yesterday I found myself doing the Kinder Trog. If you don't know it, it's a fairly local (Hayfield) and to my mind very fine event that gives an excellent value for money work out over a demanding course. It also happens to be in our club fell champs this year. So you will doubtless empathise with my feeling of surprised isolation on finding that I was sole bearer of the lion rampant with wheat sheaf. Alone I faced the massed challenges of the likes of Cheshire Hill Racers, Pennine, Dark Peak, Sale, Trafford, Altrincham, Shelton (Shelton?) and even Fat Boys! Daunted not, I set off in the searing heat of the midday sun to fly the flag of Macclesfield over the wastes of Kinder. I toiled, I sweated, I got blisters, I fell down on the hard grit, my blood it do spilleth, and yea I still wore the shirt with pride.

I think I finished somewhere just in front of the three legged dog but that's another story.

Sure some people were doing the LAMM (you can just here them can't you "ooohh I did the LAMM - it's the hardest you know", others might have been doing the Kettlewell fell races (really), some odd people did the Blackpool Marathon, yet others may have felt compelled to cross the country to do the Novartis Grimsby Five. Yeah right. My guess is that you were either in a deck chair with a bottle of Pimms to hand, or "doing a training run". Of course I forgot - it was Sunday morning - "must do the long training run". What exactly are these people training for? Do they ever do any races? Perhaps we should re-name the club - Macclesfield Hill Admirers or how about, Macclesfield "You Won't Catch Us Racing" Athletic Club?

Clearly there are many people in the club who race and do events regularly on track and field and even on road. This is not meant for you, as you are all right minded folk who are quite clear about why you joined an athletic club - yes - to compete! There I've said it - the dreaded "C" word.

And please don't go on at me if I'm not at the next race you're at - it will very likely be the knees acting up.
:wink:
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:23 pm

i found myself with quite the opposite problem on sunday lunchtime. There wasn't a place i would rather be than on a mountain with lots of sweaty likeminded folk, free from the worries of life, small children and dogs. Unfortunatly, the planner of said club championship races was unable to take into account the inconveniences brought about by such essential calendar events as 'fathers day'. (you would have thought that on fathers day, father could do whatever he wanted, ie. leave the kids at home in tha paddling pool and go running all day - apparently not!)
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:02 pm

matt - in your case I can sympathise but not empathise. Having nearly 60 person years of child training (with continuing professional development) under my belt, the offspring know that my wishes are paramount.
We celebrated Father's Day today!

(free counselling available)[/u]
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:04 pm

Not much point racing against you old bu**ers - you beat me anyway, then Craig dreams up a scheme to give the old'uns even points! The cheek of it.
thebunyans
The Boss

trogging

Postby phil cheek » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:59 pm

Who dragged my name into this?
And anway Ardronius there are some racers out there.Team prizes @ Fellsman & Duddon,3 of us @Ennerdale,several @LAMM,& @Jura.
But if you prefer short flat stuff just keep on Trogging,or will we see you @wasdale?
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Trudging

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:23 pm

Ahhh Phillippio how right you are about the successes and appearances in the events you mention. Can only applaud - but my point was (I know it's only a little point and was probably lost in the rambling) that the Trog is both local and in the Club Fell Champs.
I won't be at the Wasdale this year for three reasons - Josh asked me not to appear, something about unfair competition from youngsters and I've done it before. Oh there was a third reason - they had some silly rule about pre-entering this year .... just missed the last date. Pity really.

Might do a nice flat road race instead.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Trundling

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:45 am

In case you were wondering - Josh is the name of the three legged dog.
Not to be confused with Joss - the two legged mountain goat.
(memo to self - keep taking the tablets)
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running