Running in Brazil

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Running in Brazil

Postby Mr Turnip » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:15 pm

Its difficult to know where to begin when talking about Brazil. Superlatives are inadequate when attempting to describe the environment and wildlife.
We are actually based in the outskirts of Curitiba a city which I'd not heard of til coming here. It is big and full of contrasts. The shopping centres and supermarkets with their choice of goods and foods make ours look distinctly third world. The restaurants have to be some of the best and great value for money. On the plane out I sat next to a Brazilian who was on his way home after doing the Berlin Marathon along with a couple of dozen others from the Sao Paulo region. He was telling me about running in Brazil. Off road running is well established with adventure style races gaining in popularity. There is a two day event along the coast west of where we are - roughly two marathon distances and a fair amount of up and down with fabulous coastal scenery. Running in the city is largely restricted to parks where they have special tarmac trails for runners and walkers. Running alone in the suburbs is not recommended! I have put half a stone in weight on in just over a week - the hospitality is none stop and refusal to eat is not an option. The Atlantic rain forest is less than a 100 miles away and is awesome. Walking let alone running in it would be an expedition. Oh yes the wedding went well too - Liz has aquired a real mouthful of a name: Elizabeth Rebecca Ardron do Nascimento. The early spring weather is quite good - 26C and sunny at the moment with a balmy zephyr to sooth the fevered brow. Might fly up to Rio tomorrow, maybe take in Copocabana beach, although a bit apprehensive about displaying my weedy frame alongside the abundance of beauty which seems to be ever present. Ahgh pass the cold compress Carruthers!
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Postby Mr Turnip » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:17 pm

It goes without saying that Colin Ardron is also having a good time, although he is feeling a little put out when the local beauties seem to prefer talking to me.
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running