Points system for ladies fell championships

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Points system for ladies fell championships

Postby John Bunyan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:21 pm

We're getting pretty good attendances at the wed night fell races - 30+ runners at some events. With only the top 18 getting any points and strong men runners in the field it means that a number of the ladies are not getting any points. This seems unfair - shouldn't they have their own points system for the wed night and the main fell championships?
John Bunyan

POINTS !

Postby Barry Blyth » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:46 pm

I agree with having a separate (or additional) points arrangement for ladies. Further wrt to qualifying races I would include any race that has 5 or more Harriers.

Barry
Barry Blyth

Fell championships

Postby Mandy Calvert » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:18 pm

If the ladies turn up for races, then do not get any points as there are loads of fast men, it is not a great incentive to participation. A parallel points system for the ladies may be the fairest way AND it will also encourage greater participation by the men as there is nothing more demoralising for some than to get beaten by the faster ladies!!
Mandy Calvert

Points for Ladies

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:20 pm

A separate points system for ladies is a good idea if it encourages more participation. As someone who has been competing for over 20 yrs and has only won about two or three "class" awards, my motivation comes from elsewhere but I would not go as far as to say it comes from being beaten by a fast lady. I think more races should recognise the over 55 male category - us silver surfers need some encouragement too.

Colin
Colin Ardron

Return to Fell Running