Tanky`s

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

thanks

Postby turnip99 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:13 pm

Thank you to the all for the offer of the lift - hugely kind. Please could someone drop me a mail jbradshaw@xchanging.com of where I need to be. Not sure where Tucker's is (have not watched Grange Hill for years).

Thanks,

Jonathan
Jonathan Bradshaw
turnip99
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:13 am

Sounds a plan to me. Stephen, I'll pick you up in something small and yellow at say 6:45 at your place ?

However (there's always a however !) we have a Goyt Valley Strider (not sure who yet !) who could do with a lift.... if I bring them as well, can they have the spare seat (if we've counted right) in the winnebago ?

Tucker lives here.... SK10 2QQ

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|S ... SK10%202QQ

Ta muchly Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 am

A;; fine for me.We can split into fast & slow support once we get to Marsden if its too difficult or people are too bleary;eyed to do it at Tuks.
See you all there
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:38 pm

Spare seat is yours Jules.

We now have 7 in my bus and 5 in Phil's car. 10 runners + 2 drivers, Bingo!!

See you all at Tucker's. Don't be late.
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Had a quick look at the map (as you do....) as last year - doesn't seem to be any reason (except possibly Tanky's wrath) you can't go Rollick Stones again - go on, I dare someone....
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Julian,unless he`s moved the Crowden checkpoint back to near the hostel surely its not worth it?
In the Rollicking old days we used to come off the long track above the YH & turn left thru/round the quarry to the dam & if I remember right the checkpoint was where we left the road to climb Rollickstones.You got views of old Israeli guy building a boat!),That was before he tried a route down from Wessenden on the other side of the valley,over Lad`s Leap & down to a checkpoint on the other dam.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:17 pm

That's what I mean Phil, the GR on the info sheet is at 073990, - right next to the resr, or more accurately the mud bank - about 200 yds from the hostel. Just forget to turn right...

My advice to Mr Watts would be to wear something dark....
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:51 pm

As long as the check is there & not actually where it has been in recent years it wouldn`t even be cheating.Would you have to retrace to the road or is there a path to the bottom of the dam?
I`m pretty sure tyhere`s access to Rollickstones across the farmland without trespassing.Easy to go wrong above Rollickstones though & probably not time for a recce.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Tanky's

Postby Stephen Watts » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Very many thanks to Brain and Phil for the driving and the support. Excellent job. May have left my drinks bottle in the green box. I'll collect it on Wednesday if that is ok. A particular well done to Andy Skelhorn who had an excellent run with a significantly better time than last year in worse conditions. Obviously didn't go the alternative route off Black Hill like others! Well done everyone.

As for Mr Brown whilst I did know that the resy was empty, I don't think that the Rollickstones route is really in the spirit of the event now. Mind you I did, as a matter of curiosity only you understand, have a look at the quality of the mud in the resy and the size of the river in the middle and decided that even if it had been a plan it wasn't the best day to try a crossing.
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby BrianMac » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:54 pm

Well done runners. Brilliant run by Andy Skell + extra points for beating Tux. :lol:

Oodles of kit left in the bus. Best offer on Wed night secures the lot. Jules bring your wallet 'cos I think most of it is yours. Hope you & Jo didn't have too uncomfortable a ride home in your cold wet running gear. :roll:

Apologies for the !*"up. Phil & I thought we had the right gear in the right vans but there was so much kit and so many bodies in different cars it was impossible to tell.
:idea: Lesson No 1 learnt for next year, everybody label their kit.
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby phil cheek » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:15 pm

A bonny day out,wish I`d been able to run.
Good effort everyone,especially Andy....I`ve ammended your handicap!!
Did everyone see Hamilton`s lap on Top Gear tonight?Unbelievable,how can anyone that nice be that quick?
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:18 pm

Well done all, good runs by Andy especially, and Stephen (did anyone in the race go over the res?)

You'll be glad to hear we have in fact (just) finished. Fairly confident we were last, but we didn't die, and had fun which is the main thing.

Thanks v much to Phil and Brian for the transport and support, and sorry for leaving your seats more than a tad damp. Will retrieve kit Wednesday. And thanks to Tanky, Andy Howie, and all the marshals and mountain rescue (who must have got absolutely soaked and freezing waiting for us... sorry)

Also lost a small yellow car thingy, has Lewis Hamilton got it ?
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks to Phil and Brian for looking after us, doing the support for Sunday's race. The weather was certainly interesting with horizontal heavy rain at times and adventurous river crossings that we crossed clinging onto anybody close by.

If you did the race, did you experience the hazard of the submerged cracks between the flagstones on the path up to Black Hill? I saw 2 runners stumble into the invisible cracks but luckily they both seemed OK. I know Andy fell into one as well. It didn't slow him down though! These were the same stones that Dave Parry broke his knee cap on.

Another example of those dangerous footpath "improvement" schemes potentially causing death and destruction in addition to scarring the countryside with relics of the industrial revolution.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:10 am

Very erudite Tucks.What seems to be happening is that the flags settle unevenly & these gaps open up,eventually to man-eating(or at least foot-eating)propor5tions.
I saw Julian go down one on the run in to Edale where the flags are set in a field.
Looks like all that practice at not stepping on the craks when we were kids had a purpose after all.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:55 pm

I'd also like to add my thanks to Phil and Brian for supporting us, I was very glad to see you both at the Snake especially! Wrt cracks, on the way up Black Hill I ran along a flooded section of path and didn't realise how narrow it was, my left foot came and plummeted into a leg deep puddle. Just in case I wasn't wet and dirty enough already I repeated the same trick in a bog coming down Black Hill, which I believe must have resulted in the injury that prevented me from carrying on to Kinder (bit of a relief really after Tanky told me at the finish that he thinks it was was the worst weather he'd experienced on any Trog, with the worst bit being on Kinder). Well done all to completed.
Digby
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running