Fell Handicap-who`se coming?

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:49 pm

apparently, if i have an excuse for a more favourable handicap, it works against me. therefore -

I'm really fit and haven't been in hospital and the running is going really well. Please can i start right at the back phil
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby phil cheek » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:51 am

Steve,Fran,Matt,Julie,
Glad you`re all coming,
Matt you clearly don`t understand how this works.If you protest it makes things worse,if you don`t I must have been too lenient...so it needs to get worse.Obvious really.You can of course buy me beer on Friday night.
Please be ready to start as follows;
Fran with Nancy at 0915
Matt & Julie 0945
Steve 1030

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Fletch » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:19 pm

No way Phil, I asked you not to be as mean as last year, this is even meaner!!!! Fran is way faster than me and so is Matt! If I promise NOT to encourage Polly to sing anymore, can I go earlier???
Fletch
Plodder

Postby mudskimmer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm not sure that I will have shaken off the khumbu cough by Sunday. If I have then I'll have a trot round - otherwise happy to officiate in someway.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Julie,
Fran is going round with Nancy,hence her early start(you can join that outing if you wish.Otherwise be ready for 0940.
Mudskimmer,with your special handicap for 4 weeks of altitude training your start time is with julie,so you need to be ready for0940 as well.If you aren`t up to it there may be a group going for a jog & yes i would appreciate help at beginning or end,Ta.
If Greg is running he needs to be ready for0945,& if young Loiuse is coming same time as Greg

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

handicap

Postby Rachael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:00 am

Would be interested in having a go at the handicap - but have transport issues. Don't suppose any knows if anyone will be driving over from Buxton who could give me a lift from the bus/train station?? Or maybe could devise my own route via the sweety tree....
Cheers
Rachael
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:36 pm

Have to agree with Jules on this! Seeing how impressively Matt stormed past Andy and me on the High Peak 40, he must be off about 10:30 or later!!
Sorry Matt :?
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:25 pm

Phil, a message from Jon Chapman...

'could you let phil know that I am running and need a start time.
I am not on the forum so cannot send a message.

PS I think I am quite quick at present, so I would want to give Mike a decent start on such a course !'

Cheers Jon

Also, if he's not told you, I think Mark H is planning to be there.

And I should be OK to get along, but I've to get Jo from wherever it is she's been, Manchester Airport for a week I think, so with my lack of speed will need a nice early start.

As you know I was last back at Tanky's, last Harrier at Pendle and so on.

Of course you don't need me to tell you that a couple of almost mediocre runs on namby pamby road races, or trail races count for nowt on the fells.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 pm

There`s some hard work going on out there to influence handicaps.But to no avail `cos it`s all very scientific & worked out on a matrix of race result comparisons over a whole year....so if someone`s improved dramatically or was unfit early season they might do well(eg Digby winning by miles last year)
Conversely someone who summered well & is now winding down is frankly stuffed.
There are 2 exceptions to all this.Previous winners,particularly recent ones,get hammered and the handicapper is corrupt(& will be thirsty on Friday night).
phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 pm

Rachael,
I`ve got to go as far as the Cat & Fiddle to put up some warning signs early on Sunday morning.Could arrange to meet you there if you can get a lift/bus at the right time call me on 01625 425539 any evening this week except Friday if you want to arrange that.It would need to 0900 latest.
assuming it`s Rachael Lawrence I`m talking to you need to be there ready to start by 1030 if making your own way or getting a lift.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Julian,you¬re off at just before 1040 unless you decide you`ve got to come early (in which case I`ll place you according to your run time).
I haven`t got Jon Chapman handicapped,any idea where he should be?
Mark Hartell is off a few minutes before 1100.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Rachael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks Phil (yes Rachael Lawrance) in post about lifts from Buxton. Forgot not identifyable on the forum. Don't think i can bus to cat & fiddle by 9am. If i can make it i'll turn up ready for my 10.30am start slot then. Will be organised by Friday night so see you all at the party.
Cheers Rachael (Lawrance)
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby Tim Stock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Phil - I'm hoping to come down on Sunday. Please bear in mind I'm a soft road runner and I'm not used to running up and down hills etc. I may be coming with Richard Storey who is a similar standrd. Cheers, Tim S
Tim Stock

Postby phil cheek » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Tim,all that soft roadrunner stuff won`t wash,you`ve got a history on the rough.
Still a nice generous time for you,be ready to start by 1040 please,that`s for both of you.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:54 pm

Tim,sorry I just realised I`ve got Richard handicapped & you`re being hard on him .He`s off a bit before you ,Richard ready by 1035 please
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running