High Peak Marathon

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 pm

Well Done to all Macc Harriers who completed this event.

Phil Barnes mentions above that I have done "tougher" events !. Will someone else confirm to Phil as I already have - that they don't come any tougher in conditions terms than the High Peak Marathon. I suggested to my 3 team mates on finishing that the Bob Graham Round ( that all 3 of them should aspire too ) is certainly not necessarily harder. My argument being since it has better underfoot conditions, nowhere near as much darkness or cold & you have all your club mates to look after your every whim & fancy. Okay it just goes on a bit longer & up & down a bit more ( but theres more to look at & barely any waist deep boggy bits ).
Will someone else who is qualified to speak on this please confirm to my fellow Wolves that I am not telling "porky pies".
Last edited by Beneficial Dictator on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

High Peak Marathon 08

Postby Stephen Watts » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Well done again to all the Macc Harriers that took part; two and a half teams I think and all finished in good times. Sorry I didn’t see the Wolves roll home. Summary results are up at:-

http://www.highpeakclub.union.shef.ac.u ... _2008.html

Don’t know whether I’m qualified to reply, but as for the comparisons with the BG I think the BD has it about right. It does not require some super human performance to complete a BG round. With some good preparation, particularly climbing hills in the lakes, good weather and support team and a bit of luck, it is well within the capability of the majority of the Macc Harrier fell runners. Go and recce the route, the better you know it the smaller it will become in your mind until it turns from the impossible challenge to a grand day out in the hills. Its an unforgettable experience and well worth the effort.
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I`m kind of with the BD on this,simply `cos BG nights are short & hopefully not as cold & horrid.Against that there`s Yewbarrow,Red Pike & Steeple with 16 hours in your legs,nearly 2 hours of uphill.
We were talking to Andy Skelhorn about him having a go at a BG the other day.I think his strength might get him thru but he`d have no chance if it got warm.
Larry looks very strong to me & may just need another year in his legs to be sure.Jon should have a good shot as well if he can get the hours in for another year.Phil`s obviously as tough as old boots but I just wonder if he`d have to do a Mudskimmer & go out for a completion rather than a sub24 hour.
One thing`s for sure the miles & climbing that Ian,Steve & Digby are putting in are an example to anyone with aspirations for a big round.
Ian was out there for most of the day on Saturday.
Whatever,it`s great that we`ve such strength in depth & so much keenness.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running