Long Distance Events and Value for Money.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Long Distance Events and Value for Money.

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Many off roaders do Long Distance Walking events as either training for greater things or for their own merit as long distance challenges. Most of them allow runners to take part in addition to walkers.
This morning I struggled around the short alternative of the Hebden (a route as you might suspect, that circumnavigates Hebden Bridge). My performance is irrelevant (and unmentionable), but I would like to encourage people who have never tried a LDWA* event to give it a go.
The organisation on today's event was superb. Food and drink at checkpoints that wouldn't be out of place at a Palace garden party; encouragement from marshalls and helpers all the way and to cap it all hot food with pudding at the finish. All this for seven quid!!

*LDWA - Long Distance Walkers Association (http://www.ldwa.org.uk)

For comparison, an organiser of a so called "adventure race" in the Peak District is charging £30 for the privilege of running and biking across bits of the Peak with a bit of roap work thrown in (bondage on the go as it were). And all you get at the finish is a few dry biscuits and a drink.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

LDWA

Postby Justin Gutmann » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 am

I have been a member for years and I can certainly vouch for what Colin says. I have been going through the calendar and it is great - walks always identify whether runners are accepted or not. I know Julian is a fan, possibly mainbly because of the amazing food...

Justin
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Colin your performance isn't as unmentionable as you think...

http://www.alangreenwood.biz/hvh/Result ... 202008.xls

As those who take part will know, although most of the events are 'timed' (ie you get a certificate with your time on it) they are not races, so no prizes etc., the 'challenge' is simply to get round / or not too lost, eat cake, and generally enjoy yourself. There's a limited amount of long distance 'races' in the winter months so they make for a good 'full day out' for most folk. Even if you walk all the way you won't be last.

I know Alan and Carol who organised the event last w/e, they were very pleased with the turnout (about 300 !) and the comments / compliments received from most who took part.

The calendar for future events...

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/events/events_li ... ist_type=F

has a few local favourites in the next few weeks - 2 crosses / That's Lyth / Anglezarke Amble / Beacon Bash / Myrtle Meander - all of which make for a fine day out for six or seven quid - will take you to new areas and the chance to see the best of them - and good training / stepping stone to greater things if you want.

And if you join the LDWA - only £ 13 a year - you get a mag every 3 months with a picture of Julie / Fran / Nancy in it.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running