Psychology of ultra-marathon running

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Psychology of ultra-marathon running

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:45 pm

I received the attached from a sport science student at Salford Uni - can I ask anyone who may be able to help to contact Eoin direct by Email, ta.

Hi,
I'm looking for help, I am a sport science student in Salford University and for my final year project am conducting research into the psychology of ultra-marathon running.

The research looks at motivation for competing in such an event, emotions experienced during the race and mental toughness characteristics required to complete a race of this nature, it is quite in-depth and centres around an individual's personal experience and as such does not require large participant numbers. It does, however, involve an interview of approx 90 mins which not all people can accommodate. I have already recruited 4 runners, so probably need just 2 more.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

regards,
Eoin Phelan

eoin_phelan@yahoo.com
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 pm

"emotions experienced during the race"

Consider for one moment your average ultra marathoner. Does he/she have any emotions? It has often been observed by the spouses of these sub-species, that signs of life let alone emotions are singularly hard to detect unless and until the word "running" is brought into the conversation. It may be that the researcher has cast his hypothetical net in the wrong direction and what he really should be looking at are the emotions of the non ultra marathoner partner who is left behind??

I can't see how a sample of only six runners can result in anything other than a conclusion that more research will be required with a much larger sample size.

and no, I am not a suitable candidate but I wish the student all the very best.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Davos Ultra

Postby Rachael » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31 pm

On this theme -- does anyone have suggestions of a good training book for training for an ultra marathon -- i am considering the challenge of entering Davos Ultra this summer. Clearly getting long runs in will be important but just wondering about plans with how to balance that with a full-time job (and maybe a bit of a life(?)). Was thinking of my marathon training regime - but with some more long runs like the LDW events & joining some BG reccies but would be interested in learning more.
Cheers
Rachael
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Rachael,

I know a couple of people who have had a go at Davos, they thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend it.

There's probably as much info between the ears of the various club members than in most books, there aren't a lot of books specifically about the subject, and what there are are to some people's taste and not others - eg Richard Askwith's Feet in the clouds, or Dean Karnazes / Sarah Rowell's books.

Over the years I've had a look (sometimes no more !) at most of the books in Macc library - they have quite a few - on long distance running, hiking, cycling and so on. Well worth a browse through the catalogue anyway. Even if they're not in at Macc it's only 80p to reserve them

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Library/

Probably most of us picked up what we know by talking to like minded (if that's the right word) folk out on long walks, runs, and so on. The one thing you do get is plenty of time to chat..

...what we need from the senior club members I think is a few pearls of wisdom.... come on you lot..

- no-one ever failed to get round anything by drinking too much tea..
- or eating too much cake
- or setting off too slowly
- no matter how long the race - Alderley site 2 mile Xmas race or 100 mile trot over the mountains - you'll feel knackered about 2/3 of the way round.
- it always rains at Honister on BG supports

... and so on.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:05 pm

You`re right as usual Jules,a veritable font of wise words to which i`ll add a few........
Just keep nibbling away(A Ireland)
Use the big climbs to rest and eat(J Naylor)
No-one ever got a long run done any quicker by stopping at checkpoints(another A Ireland one,perfected by M Mcdermott on his 24 hour record)
You do not retire sitting in the chair at a checkpoint/feedpoint,get your ass up that hill(me,to a few weary folk over the years.....and it works)

And i agree with Julian that you can problem learn more from our gnarled old ladies and gentlemen than you can from books,then just make sure the miles and the climbs are in the bank.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:14 pm

I was sat in "that chair". You didn't have a go at me Phil. You just ignored me; washed my feet and helped change my Walshes. What a bastard; I had to go on.
I certainly had mood swings on my BG. Initial anticipation; increase in Adrenaline levels and anxiety as problems arose and plans went wrong (causing me to forget to eat on leg 2). More problems leg 3; doom and gloom setting in as energy levels fell. Despondency;guilt and sadness at letting the team down as I wasn't up to it: prior to "that chair". Food/ sun
lifting the spirit and a feeling that yes I'm tired but that was all so get on with it whatever the outcome. Sense of well being on realisation that the challenge would me met. Euphoria, relief and happyness seeing all those supporters at the finish.

Thanks again Phil.
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Barry,
I wasn`t actually thinking of you "in the chair" as you put,`cos you got up & did it.The "you don`t stop here"would have been the next bit of the torture tactics.
Andrea that`s another bit of advice.....surround yourself with sadists!
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am

Andrea?
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

......Gnarled old ladies ????
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Grovel,grovel,please revise my post to "svelte,ever-youthful ladies and gnarled old gentlemen".
And by the way after the demonstration of pace and stamina over the rough that Rachael gave us on Saturday I`m not sure she needs much advice.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running