Steve and Ian BGs

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Steve and Ian BGs

Postby Steve Swallow » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm

I’m sure you’ll all have heard rumours that myself and Ian have been contemplating Bob Graham rounds this year, well we’ve finally put our heads together and are planning our attempts for the weekend of 12th-14th of June assuming we can muster sufficient support from all of you.

Our intention would be to both leave on Friday, as usual with staggered starts, therefore requiring two teams – we figured that based on the number of supporters for last years rounds that two teams on one weekend would be a more efficient use of everyone’s time, and make a good event, especially in the pub afterwards.

I’ve checked the race calendars and don’t think there are any major clashes but please let me know if you think otherwise. In posting this though I've noticed Kirsty planning an attempt at a similar time

Hope you can help

Cheers Steve and Ian

Better go and get some hills in now then…..
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby kilpatrick » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Great, count me in for support on the weekend itself. If you're planning any long days in the Lakes give me a ring and I'll try to remember the short cuts on Leg 3 and 4. Ian will be able to relive his glory in the Kinder Trog on the Sunday afterwards too !
kilpatrick
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 pm

That w/e (13th to 14th) has a clash with Kinder Trog sun15th (part of the Hayfield series and Durisdeer (British). The w/e's before or after ie 6/8th or 20/22nd don't look to clash with "Macc Harrier" attended races. I'd be OK for either of those w/e's. Suggest you look for support on all 3 w/e's and see which is most popular.

Good luck

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Assuming my knee improves you can put me down to lead Dunmail to Wasdale as usual.
you`ll need to check that Chris & Annette can do their usual Wasdale to the finish.Just make sure you`ve got a rock-solid navigator for the helvellyn leg in the dark,`cos that where it can all go awry.
Then just get the long days in.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:08 pm

Good that you have named a date. I would stick with it. Whatever date you pick you get clashes with other events. With regard Barrys comment about going for it the previous weekend 7th + 8th June - that would clash with the Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon in Scotland & I for one suspect will be doing it. The event usually gets a few of the hardier club members in attendance ( or is that just those who are daft enough - probably a bit of both ! ).
Cheers. Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi Steve

You can count me in for supporting.
Fletch
Plodder

Postby LARRY » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Yep I'm in as well you have conveniently chosen a weekend when I was going to the lakes anyway, probably latter legs. As with Dave any training jaunts let me know and will try and join you. GOOD LUCK.
LARRY
Elite athlete

Postby Steve Swallow » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who has offered support and apologies for not responding sooner - as some of you will be aware I've been rather preoccupied having been part of AZ's recent 'reshaping'. I've not got another job yet but it doesn't mean I've got an excuse to back out - maybe just more training time! I'm still committed to the weekend of 13th-14th June as is Ian

I will be spending a week in the Lakes (Tilberthwaite) with family from 28th Mar to 4th Apr so if anyone is off work and fanices a training run let me know - we may have floor space for an overnight for 1 or 2.

I'll start putting something of a schedule together to start passing round on Wednesdays in the next week or so

Cheers Steve
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Steve,
As long as you`re on slow stuff I`d be up for some of this.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Steve,
put me on your list for the "Social" leg (Wasdale to Honister/Keswick).
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby BG Hopeful » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Steve/ Ian I'm not a club runner but as the name suggests am looking at an attempt the solstice weekend, I'm possibly going to try and get up on the 29th for a recce run although I fly back from Canada on the 28th so it will depend on jetlag. Also are you aware that the Tattenhall boys are having a weekend up there on the 5th covering the full route slowly over two days, everyone welcome. If you want to email me seperately: aimtowin@hotmail.com hope to get some training in with you at some point!

Rob
BG Hopeful

Postby warren mason » Thu May 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Steve/Ian

After a long winters hibernation I've managed to start back up running again and after a hard but enjoyable run last night with no adverse reaction from my achilles, I would like to offer my support for your forthcoming successful BG rounds.

Leg 2 would be my preference, but I will fit into any leg if you are short elsewhere. I will also book my house in the Langdales for the weekend and any of your leg 2 supporters are more than welcome to stay there after their exertions.

I also hear from Dave K that you've entered the Old County Tops race later this month. I've also entered - with my mate from the Wirral, Simon - and we will be staying at my house in Chapel Stile on the Friday night to save the early journey up there on the Saturday morning. You're more than welcome to stay over as well, either before or after the race. Of course we will expect some sneaky tips on route choice for the race in exchange for your board!!
warren mason
C list celebrity

Postby Steve Swallow » Fri May 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks Warren thats great - I'll put you down for leg 2, offer of accomodation for leg2 supporters is also very generous.

Ian and I are indeed doing old county tops and would also like to take you up on the offer of Friday night accomodation - not sure we have many short cuts worth sharing mind you.

What I really want to know though is what happened to the TV programme? Did I miss it? I spent ages scouring the schedules in November looking for it.

Cheers Steve
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Steve, Ian,
Just to confirm,as per my post months ago, I`m happy to lead my usual leg from Dunmail.Best if someone else can take-over from the Pike,cos it`s too rough for my crotchety old body over those boulders & I`d slow you down.Though if you can`t find any reliable navigator,settle for losing a few minutes & I`ll do it all.
Chris Cripps & Annette are set up to bring you in from Wasdale,no-one better than Chris as navigator.if you`ve split by then best to get Pete Coppack &/or Geoff Pett to nav one of you.
As always Annette`s house available for Friday night,Sat breakfast & showers,& support at Wasdale so you won`t need to put your road support thru the ordeal of the long drives in & out of Wasdale.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Steve Swallow » Sun May 04, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks Phil, and Annette - as ever really helpful

Re leg 4 Ian has already made contact with Chris and Pete has agreed to take me I'm assuming we'll have split by then.

Cheers Steve
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Next

Return to Fell Running