High Peak Marathon reccy

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby Pete Coppack » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 am

Digby, I'd like to accept your offer of a lift, thanks. I'l be ready from 7.45. is that OK?
Pete
Pete Coppack
Plodder

Derwent Watershed

Postby Justin Gutmann » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 pm

I am so tempted especially as this string started with Julian saying "no-one will be left behind". But as I have only just got back from a week's skiing it is more than my life's worth.

I'll be thinking of you all - have a great time.

Justin
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi all,

Right then - no-one at Derbyshire Council, Highways agency or anyone else can confirm that the Snake will be open tomorrow (there were a lot of don't knows though).

So I think we should assume it's shut, that being the case the best I think will be to have a circular run from

Fairholmes Car Park, alongside Ladybower reservoir, Derwent Valley, GR 172 892 Note there's a smaller car park on the main road just before the big one in the valley / visitor centre - we should park at the small one as it's free and will be much easier to find everyone.

So obviously we now only need enough cars to get everyone to the start.

Still meet 8 at Martin / Mandy's as previous post, and start running from Fairholmes about 9ish.

To drive to the start your best bet is Chapel / Winnats Pass / Hope / Bamford. I'll be on the road into Whaley with small yellow car, can drive / give lifts or not as required.

Route will be from there to Lost Lad, then following the watershed route via Margery Hill / Outer Edge / Howden Edge / Swains Head to Bleaklow Stones. There are a number of options for getting back depending on how enthusiastic / tired / wet / muddy we are, but the total length will be similar to the Cutthroat / Snake route originally planned.

All welcome, Give us a ring on 01663 733252 if any queries otherwise will see you tomorrow !!!
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Lilly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Sounds like barking mad fun. Can't wait for all those grouse and all that mud.
Woof Woof
Lilly
Mid pack runner

Postby thebunyans » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Photo album link

I hope you all had a nice time!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby mudskimmer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:40 pm

Just a couple of observations from the photo's of this gruelling recce:
None of you appear to be very muddy, but I believe Bleaklow is
None of you appear to be running

So Julian when you said you organising a recce of the High Peak Marathon route, you really meant you were going for a nice walk up a few hills. Did you find any tea shops??

Julie - you were better off going to have your hair cut after all !
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Kath,you`re right,it really wasn`t as muddy as it usually is.Apart from lilly I think Andy was the only person to go in as far 1 knee.Most unsatisfactoty.
The standing still is easy to explain,you`ll notice neither of the 2 Phils is in many of them.......they were taken during the(long) waits for one or other or both of us to catch up.
And yes thank you, The Woodbine was as good as ever,though Digby nearly got us barred for the offence of serial door-opening.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running