High Peak Marathon reccy

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby david tucker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

why are you having your hair done Fletch?
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

This thread has got wierd,can Fletch really need a barber rather than a long run in the crap?
What are the blonde bitch and her pet up to?
Will it ever stop raining?
Does this forum exist?
Someone
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 am

Fletch, we don't do things by halves around here. "Irresponsibly incontinent" - has a certain alliterative ring to it I suppose.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

All getting a bit surreal this.

Anyway, it seems we have a few incompitents / incontinents / blondes / fell running dogs / etc coming out on sat.

mike
diggers
mandy
tucker
colin
barnes
phil c
andy skelhorn
lilly skelhorn
plus quite a few 'possibly if it's nice / or i can't think of a good excuse' *

all welcome the more the merrier but as its a linear we'll need to think a bit about transport. (i managed 7 in my ford ka once, i reckon as i've now got a fiat rollerskate more than 8 could be a tight squeeze.)

i was planning that we leave macc 7:30 to 8, leave one or more cars at snake top say 8:40 or so and start from cutthroat bridge 9 ish.

but we can sort out in the pub wed night.

bit of snow up there this morning, might last, might not.

* can someone purchase from club funds a better book of excuses, or at least some slightly more plausible ones.....

and also if i were julie i'd grow my hair as long as poss, it'll keep you warm on bleaklow. otherwise you'll have to wear 6 hats starting with a skullcap and finishing with a rastafarian type affair to keep warm. Useful books on Amazon
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Julian, I note that a name not dissimilar to my own appears in your miscreants list of foolhardy venturers. It could of course be someone else you refer to but I wish to emphasise that at no point did I agree to, imply that I would or show unbalanced tendencies towards doing this mad recce.
The last time I recced this section was in the dark about 20 yrs ago - it was intensely cold and we stopped for a brew in a grough near Swains Greave. I recall that it took us about 5hrs - but I were nowt but a stripling then.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Hey,
Come on Col,I`ll look after you(as though you`d need it) & you`ll help slow the group to my pace.
Why do we have start so early Jules?We ain`t likely to want to get back in time for a bike ride before dark.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am

Can meet at my house if this suits folks. I guess this will be discussed Wed night but I will not be there. Working you know to make new pills. Let me know what the plans are! Weather could be getting more winterly so come prepared for Alpine style survival with good peripheral cover and warm core wear. Best to leave the haircut until afterwards.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 am

Dave,
can you make me a pill please? A really big one. I'm fed up with this lurgy what i've got.
C
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Lilly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 am

Dog and (to be honest not nearly as fast as me) Master rearing to go bogging on Saturday. Dad says I can get as filthy as I like because I get to ride in someone elses car !
Woof Woof
Lilly
Mid pack runner

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:54 am

Welcome to the forum Lilly! I think (like a few others on this forum), you are using an avatar that is from your younger days and you are a lot older and heavier now I believe.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Lilly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am

Never ask a bitch her age
Woof Woof
Lilly
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi all,

- if you weren't in the pub last night (shame!) and are still planning on joining us on Sat, current plan is to meet at Martin and Mandy's at Cliff House, the bottom of Cliff Lane where it joins Hurdsfield Road, by the 'phone box, for an 8am start from there.

(type SK10 2PE in here)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

We'll then drive over to Snake Top, leave one or more cars and then carry on to Cutthroat Bridge to start at 9am ish.

At least that was the original plan. Only slight problem is that the snake road is supposed to be closed, allegedly for the rest of the week. If that's still the case on Sat I think we might be best off doing a circular route and parking somewhere up the top of the Howden valley. One way or another I shall find out and let you know / post on here.

At the risk of stating the obvious it could be cold, wet, and long - so bring some half decent kit, if youve got any, a bit of food and a bottle or two (gluhwein would probably be best). If you happen to be a labrador bring enough food and drink for the rest of us please, and some panniers.

See you Sat Cheers Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't have an excuse - but I'm still not coming.
I'd rather have beer and chips on Friday night followed by a lie-in on Saturday.
I've done enough recce's of that horrible bit in the last 20 years to last a lifetime.........hang-on, that is a lifetime for some members of the club.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Nah,
You can never get enough of a good thing & as someone very famous once said "if you`re tired of Bleaklow you`re tired of life".
See you all Saturday morning.My car can be made muddy-bitch-proof if needed.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 am

I'm happy to drive and can accommodate 4 passengers. Let me know if anyone needs picking up on the way to Martin and Mandy's.
Digby
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running