LONG MYND FEB 3RD

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Kim,
you must have got your data from more athletic types that finished before me/us. Didn't see you there.
Geof,
lucky with the weather. No rain. There were strong winds however which made times slower than normal. I think I finished in about 2hrs 7m. First time I'd done the race. I'd been warned about the climbs in the the last 1/3 rd so I paced it sensible and was merely knackered but still running OK on the "flattish" finish.
Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby geofpet1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:24 pm

veryrespectable barry - how did everyone else get on? i was thinking about you!
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby Mr Turnip » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Have you not tried turnip oil * on your back? Rubbed in by a sympathetic partner, it can be both remedial and dare I say it - turnipabundulumptious.

* Turnip Oil (Turnipus oeleacious) is not obtainable from your local pharmacy - genuine enquiries in person only please.
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Postby geofpet1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:13 pm

are you offering to rub it in?? i didnt realise you kept those sort of houses.......................
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:39 am

A smaller turnout of Macc runners than expected. Julian and Jo were out in the hills handing out sweeties/water. There were 207 starters and their web site results show:

45 Barry Blyth 02:10:34
104 Janet Hatton 02:31:01
106 Craig Harwood 02:31:28
126 Lawrence Day 02:36:18
169 Philip Barnes 02:55:36
192 Justin Gutmann 03:22:00

I'm off top sunny (hopefully) Spain for a couple of weeks. No doubt see you at the Cloud 9 Geof.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Kimberley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm

I was advised by my supervisor it was in fact too soon to do my testing at the race last month. I now plan on doing testing on the cloud 9 fell race on Sunday March 2nd. If anyone is taking part and would be happy to take part in a short interview after the race could you let let know? Any help would really be appreciated, and I will be providing participant information sheets prior to the race to provide runners with more detailed information on the study.

Thanks!
Kim (McBride)!
Kimberley

Postby Kimberley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Also, does anyone have a link to a map of the course? I've looked on the net and can't find one!
Kimberley

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

I'm planning to do it Kim. The registration etc is at Congleton Leisure Centre. The start and finish is ca 300 yards away on a disused railway line. How will we identify you?

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Kim. Hadn't spotted you were a McBride version of the Kimberley's. Dave P just pointed it out to me. Put it down to senility.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Kimberley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Yes thats me i'll be there with my parents! I'm coming home this sunday to run the course myself as my dissertation supervisor has advised me to use pictures of different landmarks/ areas of the course in my interview to improve recall of different parts of the race when i'm conducting my interviews. This will hopefully improve the validity of the study. I'm still looking to get hold of a map of the course if anyone can help?
Thanks,
Kim McBride.
Kimberley

Cloud Nine

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Kim the truth is I don't think anyone from Macc knows the way.

We try to run the route every few months from the leisure centre and set off with enthusiasm down the old railway, but always, but always, end up getting lost, and reappearing one by one over about half an hour, a couple of hours later, covered in mud, having taken about 10 different routes, climbed fences, walls, chased by dogs / farmers / badgers / lions etc.

Honestly, Stevie Wonder could navigate it better than us.

The only reason we get round the race at all, is cos there's loads of tape, lots of muddy footprints, and someone to follow.

Anyway to prove me wrong here's a map and whoever knows the way can mark it up. All I know is you start somewhere near the leisure centre, run about for a bit through peoples gardens till you find yourself at the top of that funny hill, then run back down again. Some years you do this in reverse though.

http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/fell/cloudnine.pdf
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running