Wednesday 27th Feb Run - The Highwayman.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Wednesday 27th Feb Run - The Highwayman.

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Perhaps we are getting just to numerous for this pub & its relatively small car park & limited room for us to drink now its become more of a "gastro" pub. What do people think ?. Should it remain on our run venues list ?.

Apologies that I didn't stay for a drink & a chat last night. Firstly I couldn't face the crush at the bar & second my appetite for drink was somewhat spoilt to arrive back to my car which was parked up the road at the junction ( with some others ) to find the windscreen smashed in. Fortunately its laminated so they couldnt get in the car why they didnt smash a side window I don't know. Were they trying to break in or was it just some mindless vandalism. Who knows.

Your somewhat p'd off Ben Dict.

P.S. Hope to see some of you at Cloud 9 Race on Sunday.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Wendesday 27th

Postby Justin Gutmann » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 am

That is absolutely shocking. I'll report that to the Parish Council (though fat lot of good that'll do aside from alert people to the problem). I am really sorry to hear that Craig. Especially as it was such a good run, well navigated and challenging.

I think we should be well advised to knock the Highwayman on the head. The Robin Hood is a very viable alternative for the same kind of runs - I effectively ran from there anyway on Wednesday night. There is a largish car park, and street parking on Smithy Lane, it has been refurbed and Damian is very accommodating.

See you Sunday.

Justin
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby fellsman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Cars have been targeted at this pub before ! Rona of Common Barn had their Lange Rover nicked from here.
fellsman
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Sorry to hear about that Craig, I bet it's bloody annoying and the last thing you need after getting back after a good long run, thanks for that.

Why people go out on the hills to (try to) smash up and nick cars I can't imagine. I know what I'd do to them but then there's a censor on this forum.

For some reason they didn't nick my fifty quid bike which was leaning against the pub door, unlocked.

Wed nights are getting incredibly popular, 2 groups and all, but there are a few venues we use that (especially in the winter) either can't cope with the people, or particularly can't cope with the cars, especially if we're not sharing.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:43 pm

really sorry to hear that Craig.
Julian as one of the moderators I can always develop poor eyesight - I'd very likely agree with you aswell!

ps when I get fit enough to stay with the slower group I look forward to turning out on Weds again.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Another option is to meet at non pub venues close to nominated pubs. For example there is a big lay-by round the corner from the highwayman. But generally these gastro pubs are not really suitable for us lot so scrub the highwayman I say.

Also some sort of communication/arrangement with the pubs could be a good idea when the calendar is being drawn up so they agree to us all arriving and are therefore pre-warned and welcoming.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:59 pm

In reply to Dave T above :-
I do tend to ring the pub the day before a run & have done for a while now ( further in advance than that & I have found they tend to forget we are coming ) but of course the phone is't always answered by the landlord & therefore sometimes when I leave a message it doesn't get passed on. Also I tend to underplay our presence & likely numbers a little so as to hopefully not get too negative a reaction.
Also I never cease to be surprised at the variance in welcome we get from one pub to another, some positively delighted, some non plussed, some do not want us at all ( Leathers Smithy being a good example of the latter ).

I will try to make make more of our run venues from car parks etc... then we can drive to the pubs after etc.....
Just to remind you all I am always looking for good routes & venues.

Thanks for the words of sympathy re : the vandalism to my car.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running