Jura 2009

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Jura 2009

Postby longerisbetter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:14 pm

OK - I know its way off on the horizon but I am keen to sound out interest in a trip to Jura next May. The thinking being to base it on a very successful trip we did a couple of years ago. If we have around 10-12 people we can charter a boat over from the mainland which gives the option of taking bikes over and cycling from the roadhead.

We would go over for the race (these days you have to register in Jan to get a slot on the race), spend another 1-2 full days on the island and then go back to Oban. There are a couple of brilliant full-day rides you can do on Mull and of couerse lots of sea kayaking, runnig, walking etc options - either on the islands or the mainland.

Anyway - if we have enough interest then an itinerary can be worked out as a group. Expresions of interest here or to me on a Wednesday night.
longerisbetter
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:51 pm

I`m interested,but don`t quite understand the "cycle from the roadhead".
Surely if we charter a boat we get it to drop us at Craighouse pier.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby davewalker » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:19 am

Definitlety interested in a trip to Jura in o9 it has been a race iv,e been meaining to do for years
davewalker
Plodder

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 am

Like this idea - it's far enough away for me to embark on getting properly fit!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am

Sounds good. Count me in (and possibly the dog)
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Postby geofpet1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm interested, haven't done it since 1999!
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Jura, The island & its fell race, it doesn't need much recommendation from me.
I have run around the "Paps" 6 times in 6 visits. Twice for the fell race & 4 times in the Scottish Islands Yacht Race. Truely awesome place & certainly a must do before I go to "Fell Running Heaven" race. I almost guarantee the slowest 3 miles of flat road running you will do in your life at the end of the fell race ( my fastest is about 25mins ). A 15 mile fell race with 3 miles or more of flat road - how can that be a classic you ask ?.
Just go & do it & you will understand why so many folk go back again & again.
An excellant alternative approach to Jura but requiring it to be a multi day Holiday. Cycle tour there & back - Ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick on Arran. I had a couple of days there doing the Arran Ridge ( also excellant & a good warm up ). Then cycle to the other side of the island around the coast. Ferry to the Mull of Kintyre then its about 7 miles cycle across to the other side of the Mull. Ferry to Islay then 14 mile cycle across with the final "hit the beach" landing craft ferry to Jura. Thats all do able in a day from Arran. Excellant & the pace of life slows with each ferry crossing.

Perhaps we should make the race a counter in next years club fell champs ?.
Cheers, Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Jura

Postby Justin Gutmann » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm interested - but time and tide wait for no man!
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I am definitely up for it :lol:
Hopefully I will b able to bring my new running partner!!
He is only 9months old, and his fell training wont start until I get back from Kampala, but in May (28thish) I hope you will give a big welcome to .....BOSLEY the springer spaniel!

PS Many thanks to all who made the effort to attend the bash at the Vale on Saturday, you really helped make it special :wink:
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:53 pm

I think we need to research whether Justin,Colin,Phil,Andy & i can make any cut-offs.This is in my view the best race in the solo calendar(except perhaps the Manx)but make sure you get some road shoes taken to the bridge for the roadrun home.
Some highlights from past events for me.....
The adders & ticks obviously,be scared,
Hearing rocks the size of cars knocked off by other runners, coming down the fell & smelling the ozone,
Being passed by 2 Blands 3 times in the same race,in a race where one of the locals I was running with identified where he was `cos he recognised a sheep.Honest!
Midges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!be VERY scared,
Wendy Dodds running thru the finish a few seconds behind me,climbing on a bike to ride back to the Islay ferry in time to be on duty the next morning in Lancashire.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:55 am

Cut offs, cut offs? I've never heard of such a thing. Are you referring perhaps to some new form of light weight running shorts.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue May 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Just done a little research comparing this years results with the 2006 Borrowdale race.
Jura 16miles 7500ft
Borrowdale 17 miles 6500ft I think about 15 mins quicker for the stars.
A runner who finished 127 out of 173 this year in the Jura, finshed 4 minutes behind me at the Borrowdale.
I am currently 10mins faster this year than 2 years ago (Aniversary Waltz), and certainly intend to improve further.
so I think, barring injury or psychological warfare, I shall endeavour to be ready for the Paps next year :wink:
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running