Shoe advice please

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Shoe advice please

Postby mark tranter » Sun May 04, 2008 11:29 pm

I currently have a pair of Inov8 Roclite 315s - nowhere near worn out yet :D
Wondering about getting some proper fell shoes.
Will I notice much difference, or should I stick with the Roclites?
Looks like Walsh or Montrail are the best. Any advice?
thanks
Mark
mark tranter

Postby Mr T » Mon May 05, 2008 12:15 pm

I've tried Inov8 Mudrocs, Flyrocs and Mudclaws and recently bought a pair of Montrails. In my opinion you cannot beat Inov8's for grip and outer/toe protection. For fast, safer decents in the muddiest conditions I'd recommend the Mudclaw 330's. For good grip and a comfy ride on longer distances I'd definitely go for Montrails. I wore a vertially brand new pair of Montrail Highlanders on the High Peak Marathon and they were ideal. The only problem you may find with Inov8's is that they definitely don't suit everybody and can take a long time to wear in.
Old enough to know better, daft enough to still give it a go...
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Mon May 05, 2008 10:19 pm

I`m a New Balance fan.
Their basic fellshoe is still available thru the NB shops(Keswick,Shap & Workington) at a very low price. Comfy(though I have had a heel rubbing pair recently),grippy,supportive & longlasting.
13 hours over the last 2 days in them!
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Tue May 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Both Phil & Jon make good points above.
One shoe doesn't really do everything but I personally think the Montrail Highlander does most pretty well. They certainly protect your feet more, for example - you will not feel rocks through soles like you would in out & out fell shoes ( Walsh, Gladiators or Inov 8 ). For local running ie. mixed - bit of road, rocky path, muddy tracks I would suggest they are the best compromise. I would also consider them for very long Mountain runs where comfort & protecting your feet takes priority over out & out racing performance. They are available in Macc at Camp 4 the outdoor gear shop where should you ask nicely you will get 10% as a Macc Harrier.

The New Balance RX Terrain ( their basic fell shoe Phil mentions ) is good value at around £40 a pair from their factory shops ( one in Shap one in Keswick & they will mail order ) but I would personally suggest is not quite the equal of Inov 8 330 or Walsh. ( A couple of club members are using the new NB shoe which comes with a little ankle gatter, they seem happy with them. ) I would also suggest this applies to Running Bears own brand shoe the Gladiator.
Running Bear at Alderly Edge stock most of these shoes ( except Montrail & New Balance ) & as a club member you get 10 % discount there too.
Addidas Swoops are also quite good but my personal experience was that they wear out quite quickly.
You pays your money & takes your choice.
My choice currently is Road / Trail type shoes for dry local summer evening / weekend runs & races. Inov 8 330's for out & out fell racing ( where grip & feel is all. Montrail Highlanders for everything else & to preserve my feet.
One last comment a lot of fell shoes are still very hand made & do vary a little in size so I would always try them on rather than buy mail order.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Good points alround from Craig, though I personally rate the NB RX better than Walsh.I would disagree on the Adidas however,which have been renamed Woops cos they have all the grip of a slick!
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby mark tranter » Tue May 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for those comments. May treat myself soon!
mark
mark tranter

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Tue May 06, 2008 6:14 pm

just to add something else into the mix, i've spotted quite a few people wearing la sportiva's new shoe - kevlar upper and aggressive sole (not studs tho) but rumour has it that quite a few people have been trading their montrail highlanders in.......
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Return to Fell Running