Paddy Buckley Round Attempt 19th/20th July?

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Paddy Buckley Round Attempt 19th/20th July?

Postby Digby » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:59 am

After a reasonable outing on the Dodds Leg yesterday I'm considering an attempt at the PBR in July. However, I don't know the route that well and with only a couple of w/es available for recces between now and then I will be heavily reliant on navigators who know it to help guide me round.

Is there anyone out there available and willing to help me out that w/e both with navigation and carrying? Thanks.

Cheers, Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:11 pm

am free that weekend i think to help carry but not familiar with route - have some friends at Eryri who may be up for a bit of a jog tho........ will make a few calls
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby phil cheek » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Good idea Digby,tuck it awaywhile you`re fit etc.
I`ll try to be available & can lead from Capel thru to the quarry support point & on thru to the road after Cnicht.(That`s where Chris Cripps started & finished which seemed a good plan)
BUT,if you`re going as fast as last week I`m not going to be much help.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 pm

neither will i
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby phil cheek » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 pm

Annette will be up to help as well.
She has a suggestion that may help.You need to split sections up so pacers can keep up doing half a leg each.
But how many people can you find who can lead legs?
Do you know Yannis,if not get Chris to contact him.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks Phil and Matt.

Phil - are you out wednesday night? If so, I'll catch up with you then otherwise I'll give you a call.

Cheers, Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Probably yes.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Digby,

Wow - impressive stuff! Unfortuntately it's the weekend of my brothers wedding. Shame to miss it; it would have been nice to have a hat-trick of supports.
Ross
Plodder

Postby Northern Chris » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Digby, if things are going well I'll be there. Am trying to persuade Polly we need a weekend in Wales before she goes back in to hospital so I can have a recce. I should be okay to lead/help lead the legs from Nantmor to Pont Cae'r-gors to Llanberis as long as I can get fell fitter over the next couple of weeks.
But like most others I don't (sorry Know) i'm not fit enough for a silly time. Hopefully catch you over the weekend
C.
Northern Chris
Mid pack runner

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm

My advice for anyone contemplating this round is that you need to reccy carefully at very least the 2nd half of the Boundary ridge ie. the Moel Siabod to Cnicht section. There are several fairly insignificant summits, a couple which from memory do not even have official names on the map.

I personally found this round tougher than both Bob Graham & Ramsay Round as in my opinion there is more marginal ground that has to be run ( ie. forcing a run when it would be all to easy to walk but loose time against the schedule ).

I may be able to pace on the 19th July. Do you have a schedule & start point yet. There have been several different start points used - Capel, Aberglaslyn & Llanberis.

Cheers. Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks all for your offer of help. I think I will have a go. I'll be following Chris' schedule from a couple of years ago, which, if I remember correctly, starts from the foot of Cnicht in the late afternoon (6ish?). This means that my attempt will start late afternoon on Friday 18th.

Chris - pl. can you e-mail me a copy of your schedule.

Phil, Craig and Chris thanks for your offers to navigate.

Phil - I'll put you down for Capel Curig to the finish
Chris - Polly's progress permitting, I'll put you down for Nantmor to Pont Cae'r-gors to Llanberis
Craig - would you be able to navigate the remainder?

For support, so far I've had offers from Matt K-H, Ian Hughes, Jack Leech and Annette. Is there anyone else who might be available? It would be good to have 3 supporters (inc. navigator on each leg).

I'm planning a recce on the w/e of 28/29 July and possibly the 21/22 if anyone would like to join me?

Cheers. Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm looking for one other person to help Will Meredith (Goyt Valley) with road support for the PBR attempt on 18th/19th July (7pm start). Please can you let me know if you would be interested. Thanks.

Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 am

i've got to work on the friday night til about midnight/ 1.00 am so will be free from about 3.30 - 4am by the time i've driven there - let me know where abouts you'll be by then and i'll meet you. If theres a leg that starts about 8-9 ish then it'll give me a chance to get a couple of hours kip but i don't mind sleeping later in the day if my services are needed earlier
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby Digby » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Matt

Thanks for your help. You are very welcome to join us. I'll send you a schedule and further details tomorrow and you are welcome to join in whenever you turn up. Have you recovered from last w/e's injury??

Cheers, Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:59 pm

no - not yet, so don't go relying on me for anything, especially after the last two support efforts. At least i made it past the top of skiddaw this time !! had a good outing at osmotherly to lift the spirits last week, helped enormously by the fact that many of the usual racing snakes were off on various support missions, making a decent placing possible
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Next

Return to Fell Running