Kinder trog kit

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Kinder trog kit

Postby Andy Gray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:23 pm

If one was to participate in a race such as the Kinder Trog what other extra stuff needs to be carried to fulfill race regs.

This is just in case Fathers day means a free pass for the day.
Andy Gray
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:34 pm

Andy,
It`s up to the organisers,but you need to be prepared to carry waterproof full body cover,hat,gloves,compass,map,whistle,food & drink.
They`ll tell you at registration depending on weather.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Andy... and anyone else....

Rule 9 from the FRA Safety Requirements for Fell Races.... from
http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/commit ... ements.pdf

'9 EQUIPMENT
Competitors should arrive at races prepared to carry any or all of the following equipment:
a) Windproof whole body cover.
b) Other body cover appropriate for the weather conditions.
c) Map and compass suitable for navigating the course.
d) Whistle.
e) Emergency food (long races).
These requirements constitute "best practice" and are mandatory at all Category A Long and Medium races.
However any race organiser is free to impose additional safety requirements (e.g. waterproof as distinct from windproof whole body cover) and competitors must be prepared to accept such requirements as a condition of race entry.
In the event of settled fine weather, confirmed by a local weather report, the organiser may decide to waive some of the above requirements for races of other categories.
Organisers must ensure that whatever requirements they specify on the day are met by holding complete or random checks before and after the start of the race.
Race organisers should be aware of the dangers of hypothermia if injury to runners causes them to stop or slow to a walking pace. Body heat is lost quickly and in cold, wet or windy weather the onset of hypothermia can be very rapid unless sufficient warm clothing is carried. This factor
should influence decisions on the extra equipment runners are required to carry in poor or unsettled weather conditions. If necessary the fact that the weather creates a high risk of hypothermia should be stressed to competitors.'

Now the Kinder Trog is not an AL, it's a BL race, so the organiser is at liberty to insist on, or waive some of the above.
But I think you should arrive at the start prepared to carry the above.
I know it's a lovely hot day now but it might be otherwise Sunday week. A few folk who did the Skyline last year can testify that it can get a bit inclement on Kinder now and then.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm planning to do this Andy and can drive if required. Was going with Dave Walker who also plans to enter.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Andy Gray » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks for the offer Barry but in the unlikely event I can make it I suspect I wont be able to hang around, (not that anyone is piling pressure on you to be needed at the prizegiving.)
Andy Gray
Plodder

Return to Fell Running