Birds of Prey

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Birds of Prey

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:25 am

I hope people don't mind me hijacking the forum to publicise the issue of persecution of birds of prey.
Most of us enjoy running in the hills and mountains of the UK and beyond not just for the running but for the special contact it gives us with the environment. Some years ago I was running alone from Pooley Bridge and when I got to the summit of Kidsty Pike I looked over the edge and was astonished to see the two (then) resident eagles perched on the rocks a few meters beneath where I was stood. This won't happen now, cos they are gone. Persecution? Natural causes? Go to the Scottish Highlands and there is undisputable proof that these magnificent birds are being persecuted to the point of extinction. The same applies to many others: buzzards, harriers, goshawks. As people who often run through wild places we may see things that don't look right, that may provide evidence to help stop this cruel and senseless abuse. Report it. It may help lead to a prosecution. In any case sign the RSPB pledge:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campa ... /index.asp
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running