Just how hard is fell running?

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Just how hard is fell running?

Postby Curious » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:16 am

OK so I've run a bit with the Road Runners, done some of the Staff Moorlands races and flirted with the Forest Five and the Wincle Trout races.

So what's going to happen if I turn up on a Wednesday night? Left for dead by a pack of skinny whippets? Encouraged and coaxed along some scenic routes?

What sort of distance and pace do you do?
Curious

Just How Hard is Fell Running?

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:11 pm

I see no one else has bothered to reply so I will oblige.
I see you have done the Wincle. That's one of the easier ones - the Staffs Moorlands series are of similar ilk. They are all short and not a great deal of climb. However, if you are just starting out in running or like me, coming to the end of your running (!), you might find them quite hard.

"Proper" fell races can be somewhat hard, even for fit people. Weather can play a big part.

Regarding Wednesday fell training sessions - they tend to be anything from 1 - 2 hrs long but with average 1.5hrs. The pace is generally quite accomodating. Distance around 6 - 9 miles depending on terrain. Most of the runners are past it (ha, ha) and often talk about how fast they used to do a particular course. The serious training takes place in the pub later.

The best thing to do is come along on a Weds night, make yourself known and then hope for the best. No seriously, do come along, you will receive a warm welcome.

Colin
Colin Ardron

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:07 pm

I agree with Colin, the best bet is to just come along, we normally keep an eye on new people to make sure they don't get lost!

Return to Fell Running