Indoor sports hall

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby Debbie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:02 pm

On asking for several weeks. ONE member from regular under 11 training interested in Indoor Sportshall does not make a team! I think you can safely say that it is a waste of time and effort on everyones part to consider it for this season.
Debbie

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Clearly from the above, posts can cause offence !.
It does to always remember the club is run entirely by volunteers & that you can turn the interested & willing very quickly into the dispirited & unwilling.

Tank as ever your posts are somewhat strong, hardly welcoming & encouraging to another potential volunteer ( as you are - which I suspect will surprise some other forum users ) for the club.
Onlooker, I apologise to you on the clubs behalf & I understand & take your original post in the spirit that I believe ( & you have reiterated ) it was written.

Unfortunately due to lack of support by significant numbers of athletes last year it was decided at Club Committee ( admitedly the always small number of people who attend these meetings have in the main little or no experience of indoor sportshall sports ) not to particularly strongly persue indoor sportshall sports this winter. That situation might change if support at all levels, ie. athletes, helpers & coaches were forthcoming. All the above my personal opinions not necessarily those of the club ( committee ).
I am available to discuss these issues.

Craig Harwood.
Club Chairman. 01625 424614 or 07940 952881
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby onlooker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:31 pm

thankyou for this reply ... it is encouraging.
What happens if kids want to do Indoor sports hall this year ?? Do they just turn up or are we giving it a miss for this year ??
As more encouraged now if ever have time will think seriously about club involvement ( don't tell the husband though !!! just say i said no !!)
unknown
onlooker

Postby Debbie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm

The contact details will be on the Harriers website later today.
Debbie
Debbie

Postby Simon Price » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi onlooker - your initial post is pretty similar to how I felt seven years ago. The response I got is also pretty similar to those you have had (though I have to confess I did not have the musings of the Tank thrown in!!!)
I really wanted just to encourage you not to be put off. Getting involved can be thoroughly rewarding and will have a long lasting impact on many children - including your own.
Simon
Simon Price

Postby Tank » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:27 pm

At last we have 'forum' members with a track and field interest contributing to threads.
I accept your apologies 'Onlooker' as I hope you accept mine as now I can see what you are trying to say - Like many posters who don't care for my 'direct' comments most of us are here to support our young athletes. Some of your perceptions are a shared reality - my child also once missed out on receiving an award due to being unaware. As I have commented before communication is vital and not always a strong feature of the club - this would make an interesting thread in it's own right.
I agree with your reasons for 'anonymity' which are a feature of progressive forums as opposed to chat rooms.

With the present low level of interest from our young athletes and their parents in Sportshall I understand why the club did not wish to fund indoor training at the leisure centre. Other clubs are also opting out such as Sale and Liverpool. However, the club should(and do) allow individuals to enter events. I understand there will be some Macc. Harriers taking part this weekend thanks to the management and help of Russ Williams and Sheila Williams. If any individuals want to go along I believe Sheila will help with their registration - a proactive approach!
BUT PLEASE CAN WE ALL BE OPEN AND HONEST IN COMMUNICATIONS AND START USING THIS EXCELLENT WEBSITE RESOURCE TO DEVELOP THE CLUB - FROM BOTTOM UP (and that includes my 'musings' which may indeed be from my bottom).
Tank
Plodder

Previous

Return to Track and Field