Indoor sports hall

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Indoor sports hall

Postby onlooker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:22 pm

An observation from a well wishing parent. Last year my children competed in Indoor sports hall competitions for macc in U11s. I noticed several problems.
1. not enough competitiors Yes it is difficult to always take part but when u joina club this should be bourne in mind and if you just want creche facilities on Tues/thurs my opinion is you shouldn't join an active club.
2. The children rarely did anything at practice night which resembled what they did at Indoor competitions so they appeared and had to be taught by us(as best we could) how to triple jump vertical jump etc. On questioning those in charge of practice night we were told most children don't compete so we cannot cater just for the few that do. Contradictory at best.
3.Consequently it is self perpetuating the parents taking children to Indoor comps were demoralised and eventually stopped and the attendance reduced so a full team was not presented etc. need i go on !!
4. Just a quicky whilst I am ventilating busy parents need lots of notice about comps before the week before.

I know this sounds like a big moan but is not meant to and in fact was only put on to help.
onlooker

Postby Debbie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:36 am

Onlooker, Please come forward and make yourself known to me (Debbie Under 11 trainer) on a Thursday evening and we can have a good moan together!

As trainers we do our best to prepare all the kids for the coming events. There is a list in the clubhouse with all the events for the season so everyone knows months in advance when and where the events are.

Tuesday evening training in the hall was abolished this year due to lack of interest. If there are enough competitors willing to compete then maybe we would have a re-think about the training otherwise what is the point in wasting an evening training for sportshall?

In my opinion when you join a club you should be prepared to compete in the competitions and support your club. If you dont want to compete give your place up for someone on the long waiting list that does want to compete!

We do have an excellent group of very keen boys and girls that compete (and do very well) for Cross Country both this year and last so there is interest!

Please also remember that we are only volunteers and without us there would be no training so any offers of help would be greatly appreciated by the club.

Debbie
Debbie

Postby onlooker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 am

Thank you Debbie . It isn't a critisism of training (apart from last winter) but more of the club ethos. If kids don't want to compete even at the U11 level why join a club ??
Our training attendance has reduced due to other competing and illness but yet we still competed in multi event etc as we feel we should be committed.
WE assumed that you have moved inside to sports hall training and have not received any notification that this is cancelled this year !!!
So am i to assume there is only XC on Thursdays now in the winter for U11 ??
How do we comunicate to be part of Indoor sports hall team as my kids do not want to do XC ??
Communication not a strong feature ... missed pres evening as no idea was on last year and found trophy on desk at training..... what a shame !!!
unknown
onlooker

Postby Debbie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:38 am

I think you have answered your questions yourself. Comitted members turn up for regular training and are informed of all events and training changes.

Please come and speak to me or any club officials anytime.
Debbie
Debbie

Postby Franswallow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am

onlooker,
like debbie I would urge you to make yourself known to the current coaches to ensure any current concerns are dealt with promptly and you and your child/ children get a good experience of our club.
As one of the indoor sports hall coaches from last winter i can only apologise for your difficulties last year(I was unaware of your dissatisfaction with coaching)
Timely and specific feedback will help improve what we do as a club both as coaches and participants, thankyou for sharing your thoughts, i hope it will encourage others to do the same!
:)
Franswallow
Mid pack runner

Postby Tank » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:33 pm

Onlooker said;
"I know this sounds like a big moan but is not meant to and in fact was only put on to help"

About as much help as a chocolate fireguard!

Debbie and Fran responded very politely but...
Your title 'onlooker' is part of the 'problem'. The club in all aspects is run by volunteers who are themselves 'busy parents' and should be applauded for any time they give to develop the sport of athletics for young athletes. So get off your 'onlooker' horse and volunteer your services e.g. coaching, catering, collecting track fees etc.
If you bothered to go into the clubhouse or look at the website (T+F page) you would see the dates/venues/details of this seasons Sportshall.

Communication is a difficult issue for any voluntary organisation and is essentially a two way process. If anything, at least your post may generate some discussion - but please back up your 'observations' with some direct action and help your club and it's youngest members by doing something proactive.

See you at Crewe on Sunday!

Erm... not wishing to upset anyone!!!
Tank
Plodder

Postby thebunyans » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Now, now Tank, you are also an anonymous poster!

Let's just take all the observations in a positive manner and it's nice to see something other than fell running being discussed on the forum. Don't want to put posters off by getting jumped on for contributing.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby phil cheek » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Tank,
COMPLETELY out of order whoever you are.
"Onlooker"`s comments were surely positive,well meant & thoughtful.
No-one is helped by comments about chocolate fireguards.
Please hang in there "onlooker" & try to get more involved.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Talking about communication, I was asked to update the "training schedule" on the website to remove the indoor training.... I've only just done that.
thebunyans
The Boss

got a point

Postby eraw. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:18 pm

I really don't understand why people don't want to compete in indoor sportshall, as its really fun. I've made loads of friends from all over the place from indoor sports hall. Last round we only had two people from the club. Thats pretty bad.. :shock: People at harriers don't seem to care about indoor sports hall though.. I've heard comments like
'Don't do indoor sports hall it's a waste of time' but the thing is I want to do it, and it's NOT a waste of time. If we could get a team, we could do really well, some runners I know could do it, but they always use 'I have XC on saturday' SO? you go training every week surely your fit enough to do both!! And I don't know why your all having ago at 'Tank' as he is clearly stating the facts. Onlooker and Debbi I do agree with you though..
eraw.

Postby Tank » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 am

What a positive post by ERAW - well done for sticking to the theme of the original post and not letting it be hi-jacked by the elite PC brigade.
Without contraries there is no progression - I for ONE welcome the controversial post of 'onlooker' and find the cut of its gib both interesting and challenging. Track and Field is the poor relation on this website so any thread which leads to debate/discussion and ultimately progression should be viewed as a positive development.
Anyone who gives criticism is 'man' enough to take it and I am sure 'Onlooker' can safely speak for themselves while also thinking about how they could contribute in an active way to the 'big picture' of how to improve our young athletes involvement in athletics. So well done to 'Onlooker' for making the post - please make more - and lets start mobilising the Track and Field section.
Tank
Plodder

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 am

Well! Track and Field suddenly comes to life on the forum! Makes a change from the ramblings of the fell section. Keep it coming :)
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Debbie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 am

If people are "MAN ENOUGH" to give critisism should they not be "MAN ENOUGH" to let us all know who they are? Instead of hiding under an anonymous name!
Debbie

Postby phil cheek » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 am

Shouldn`t that be "person enough"?And what about the turnips?
phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby onlooker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:36 pm

OHHH so many replies. I don't know how to answer them. First the anonymity i am neither scared or hidden. Most forums are proven to work best if anynomity os preserved. I think the proof in the replies is there for all to see and you can easily have misconceptions when reacting to people you know.
Tank ... Yes i'm big enough but do you have enough fact to make sweeping contraversial (bordering rude) statements. Personally i don't mind as i am clearly all for free speech but i like to contain it to contructive comments whenever i can.
The POST was meant to be a helpful constructive view and I repeat not a critical one.Thanks for all the replies that supported ...I feel I need those now !!! I have spoken to lots of the coaches about it as I did say initially in my first post the reply to one. Often the answer is well come and volunteer and I understand that argument as am on many volunteer committees which make it impossible to do more properly as well as working full time. That is why I tried to make the comments constructive, or so i thought !!
I have found this years sports hall details on the NW indoor sports hall website but would children know what to do when they attended if no practice at all for it now??
Last year the team captain was "rather left in the lurch" and we all(parents...as she was ) mucked in to help.
Perhaps Tand F should just be a summer undertaking for the club ??? ( now that is contraversial ) Apologies for any offence felt by this post it sincerely was not the desired effect.
unknown
onlooker

Next

Return to Track and Field