Macclesfield Harriers Blog!!!

Any suggestions for the website? Anything you don't like?

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Macclesfield Harriers Blog!!!

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm

I would like to "retire" the main photo gallery for a couple of reasons:
(a) it's having technical hitches and I might need to update the software
(b) uploading photos is not very user friendly

Both of these issues then take up my time since I have to upload photos and maybe resize them on behalf of people. The photos then end up with no commentary.

I would like to replace it with a "blog". Blogs are "web logs" where you can post pretty much want you want, but in our case it would be used to post reports on events, trips etc of interest to the club. You can upload pictures and embed them in your entry.

I have created a blog on Google's blogging system, and Colin Ardron has submitted the first article. I'm sure if one of our more mature members with a weakness for impersonating root vegetables can do it, most people should be able to submit items.

The blog is here: http://maccharriers.blogspot.com/

To post to the blog I need to invite you via your email address. You then have to register with google if you do not already have a google account. Note that the online calendar is also with google, and the same registration can be used to post to both.

So let me know what you think, and email me (or post here) if you want to be added as an author.

(I do not intend to remove the old gallery, just not use it going forward).

For the more technical amongst you, the blog supports RSS feeds (to use in the likes of Google reader, and as a "follower" if you are already a blogger - like Mark, Mandy, Rachael.... )

John
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 pm

seems like an excellent move this John, great quality of photos, ability to put your own captions in etc. My only worry is that it might encourage certain members to populate the site with drivel unconnected with running.
Can the blog be moderated as with the forum? If the pay is right, there is a root vegetable who sometimes impersonates a person, who might be interested.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Yes, anyone that I allow as a contributor can also have further privileges as an admin that can delete/edit posts. Hopefully it should not be abused since I'll only allow responsible people like Tucker, Phil... :roll:

One thing that might get abused is whether we decide to allow comments or not. At the moment I think people can comment if they are registered on blogger, but we have to keep an eye on it. I can disable all comments if necessary.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby phil cheek » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 pm

No chance of abuse from me,I`ll never make it work.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Please add me as an author if poss - if only to be able to add photo's in the future.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm

The other option I suppose is for those of us with 'blogs' already is to use them rather than a macc harriers specific blog, and just ensure that we provide links via this forum.
This way there is no need for any management of seperate club blog.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

It's a bit more sociable to put reports in a club blog since it can be searched etc. but there's nothing stopping people putting stuff in their own blogs and linking to it from the forum. If you use blogger, I wonder if you can create a blog entry in your personal one, then just cut and paste the content into the club one? Issue would be whether the photos work.... I'll have a play.

If anyone has a large number of photos it would be more sensible for them to have their own picassa or flickr accounts and link to them. (Like Rachael and I did for our Shining Tor ski tour).
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Kath - you'll have to give me a clue what your email address is. I don't think the astra zeneca one will work any more!

Send it via this:
http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/index.php?opt ... 1&Itemid=3
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby thebunyans » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

OK, on blogger if you edit a post from another blog, you can just cut and paste the content into a different blog and the picture links work OK. Just tried it...

I wonder if there is another way to post to 2 blogs simultaneously?....
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm

just been playing around with this blog thingie prior to publishing today's run photos and found that by pressing the "next blog" button a site came up which nearly made me regurgitate my dinner, (and I'm being v. diplomatic here)! This was without even being signed in.
I think a system of publishing photos and info about our common interest is great, but I didn't realise that by using it we would be linked to all the crackpots and loopies of the world aswell. Is there any way of avoiding this?
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Welcome to the internet. If you ask for next blog I think you just get a random blog and it could be anything, same as if you do the "I feel lucky" on google. Best avoided...
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby thebunyans » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm

OK, found a hack to remove the top navigation bar....
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby thebunyans » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Now I've disabled the top nav bar, those of you who are registered to contribute do not have the luxury of using the links on it to create new posts etc. To do this, login to blogger via:
https://www.blogger.com/start

Colin - what happened to the draft report from the weekend?...
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:55 am

Compliments of the season - my first post of the new year!

The blog should complement the website nicely. Was your spelling mistake a deliberate typo to provoke a reaction?

This blog is for members of Macclesfield Harriers to submit reports of events they have attended.

It is intended to compliment :?: the main website.
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby thebunyans » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Nah, I just can't spell...
thebunyans
The Boss

Next

Return to Web Site Comments